Learning about sex
Where did you learn about sex?
Think about it for a minute, I'll wait here quietly!
- At home
- Social media
- School; did you learn that you will get STI /STD if you have sex?
- At home: that sex leads to babies
- In Church: That sex is only between a married man and woman so that you can have a family
Porn: that every woman is a screamer. Sure it has some fun recreational benefits but it's not recommended as an educational tool.
- Magazines: endless lists of 10 things you should do to please him/her.
- Social Media: insert the filter over the frown on my shaking head
None of that actually teaches us about sex!
I stumbled across this website, google: Make Love Not Porn. Stumbled you say, yes innocently actually, it was mentioned in a documentary I was watching... let’s leave that alone! I found it interesting that the founder was a middle-aged lady who has a very healthy opinion on learning about sex.
Pro Sex, Pro Porn, Pro knowing the difference.
'Make love not porn' boasts real world:
There is no better tool in education than watching real people have real sex, rather than performative sex, making rehearsed and on queue noises/movements. Let alone the unrealistic expectations that young impressionable individuals gain from the plastic or buff bodies and bleached genital skin, orgasm timeframes and well I could go on & on!
I’m not suggesting that you set your teens up a ‘Make Love Not Porn’ account, but if you don’t have the tools to teach kids about sex then go find someone that does and let’s set our youth up for some more realistic sexual expectations.